Off Course Phalarope

Off Course Phalarope

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Where does the time go?

After a hectic week last week it was a relief to drop into weekend mode, and a special weekend it was.

It was Mum's birthday so my usual car load of clobber was increased by one freshly baked coffee and walnut cake filled and decorated with coffee flavoured fresh cream.  Needless to say, my driving was a little more sedate than normal!

I planned my training to cause as little disruption to the weekend as possible, which ment getting up and running at 5:45 a.m. on Saturday and 6:00 a.m. on Sunday.  Saturday morning was a two lap road run with head torch, and I had the honour of hearing the dawn chorus from the ducks and waders on the river Axe.  It was a great way to start the day.

We walked into Seaton in the morning and had a pub lunch (I was good and had a tomato and feta salad and baguette).  The cake was cut in the afternoon, then we had a fondu in the evening finished off with Mum's home made meringues...mmmm!  A day of lots of yummy treats.  We watched Robin of Sherwood in the evening; a good film that I hadn't seen before.

Early Sunday morning I took my youngest son Sam for a cliff top head torch run.  It was absolutely freezing with a biting northerly wind but we'd wrapped up warm and watched the sun rise over the sea.  We met a gentleman of senior years on our way back who was running in shorts.  He must've been numb as the cold was biting my legs through my tights.  We soon warmed up after showers and a cooked breakfast.

By 11 I was back in a fresh set of running kit and at the City of Exeter Hash with my eldest son Tom (Sam had gone off to paintballing with his mates).  It was a good long hilly hash with few stops and I felt I ran strongly despite the morning run.

We had roast beef for dinner and, perhaps not surprisingly I struggled against tiredness in the afternoon.  By tea time I was fading rapidly and didn't put up a fight when Mum said I should head for home and get an early night!

Monday morning should've seen me up early for a 5 mile morning run.  I was so tired I switched the alarm off and went back to sleep.  That's one run I won't be able to claw back but I obviously needed the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment