Off Course Phalarope

Off Course Phalarope

Monday 14 March 2011

And so it was that I hobbled round the Hobble!

After three days of complete rest I felt sufficiently recovered to return to work and to make the journey North. I needed to get out in the countryside, and I needed to see Andrew. I was achy at work on Friday afternoon and was surprised at how fatigued I felt after such a good rest, but I took some ibuprofen and muddled on.

For Saturday I'd organised a BGR recce in the Lakes with some of my team. I was worried about heading off into remote areas knowing my condition could return with a vengeance. The MWIS weather report on Thursday evening showed low cloud, rain and a front of snow passing through. I took advice and decided to bail out.

Plan B was to do the Howarth Hobble; Brett, the organiser, kindly agreed to a last minute entry. I bought a map at lunch time on Friday, marked out the route after work (thanks to Steve for the prompt assistance), packed, shovelled down some beans on toast and set off for Yorkshire. It was 22:00 by the time I left and around 02:30 when I arrived. When the alarm went off at 06:00 I groaned!

This is not the way to go about preparing for an ultra event and I hadn't really given any thought to the toughness or length of the course. What some people might consider the highlight of their running year, I was treating as a training run. It wasn't until I finished and was taking stock of my painfully blistered feet, wondering why they'd suffered so much, that I registered I'd just completed my third ultra marathon(billed as 32 miles, 4400 feet ascent). An achievement in itself and one that I'm proud of especially given my state earlier in the week.

The Howarth Hobble: 32 miles of heavenly countryside with breathtaking views and plenty of variety. The organisation was faultless and included food and drink stations and a post race feast. I now know I can eat a hot dog (no onions) and still run after, yum! The weather was kind, not too windy and some sun. Thanks to Brett, the Hobble team and everyone else who helped out and supported on the day. I loved this event.

I was lucky to be able to hook up with a fellow runner who I've met at races before. He knew the route and kept me company for the majority of the day, putting up with my endless drivel; the perfect gentleman. If you're reading this Tussockface, thank you so much; you turned a fraught and anxious girl into a happy smiley chatty one.

There was one moment well into the event when I was climbing a set of stairs and felt my legs tire a little. As I ascended, to urge myself on, I chanted the words Bob and Graham in time to my feet. The amused question came from behind 'have you got names for your legs?' And so it happened that my right leg has been named Bob and the left Graham!!!

Andrew was at the finish taking down the results (he's been away and couldn't get back in time to take part this year). I'd had a blister pop right on the end of my little toe as I descended to the last half mile and limped in, probably with a grimace of pain on my face. That hug was definitely one I needed!

We had chinese takeaway for dinner (I was still feeling the loss of the one I went without last weekend) and a hard earned glass of Bacardi and coke. I only just managed to stay awake to eat then stagger up the stairs for an early night.

I had a lie in on Sunday then after a breakfast of hot cross buns, Andrew and I headed for Wharfedale. This area has become one of my top favourite places as it never fails to calm and restore me. It is also where I first met Andrew.

We did the same hilly route of mid February and added Great Whernside. This time we had a dry day with sunny spells. My feet were still sore but tolerably so, and my legs were strong and only mildly fatigued by the ultra.

There was a nursery field with four ewes with the tiniest lambs (only one each rather than the usual pair), they looked small enough to have been born that morning. Awww!

The curlew are properly dissipated over the moors now and it's a real treat to hear them call. The lapwings are displaying which is something I haven't seen before. The grouse are numerous and the meadow pippits are back. The oystercatchers are growing in number. I heard a sky lark again on Saturday.

How long until there are ducklings?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maurice

    I'm recovered thanks.

    I've been to the consultant and have been advised it was a virus that got into my spine.

    I hope all is well with you and yours.

    Stef

    ReplyDelete