Off Course Phalarope

Off Course Phalarope

Sunday 16 June 2013

THE BOB GRAHAM ROUND - Part Four


Leg 4
 
Support crew: Martyn Price navigator, Geoff Clarke, Dave Swift, Brian Stallwood



Leg four starts at Wasdale Head and climbs Yewbarrow, Red Pike, Steeple, Pillar, Kirk Fell, Great Gable, Green Gable, Brandreth, Grey Knotts and descends to Honister Pass.  It’s about 11 miles, 6000 feet ascent.

You cannot imagine the bliss I felt as Livi offered up a lovely cold wet face mitt and bathed my now very salty face and neck whilst I sat in the deckchair in the shade of the trees in the Wasdale National Trust car park!  This was followed by Andrew with a generous lathering in sun cream.  I felt like a new woman!  I spooned down my rice pudding, drank a lovely hot mug of sweet tea and was on my way again.

The climb up Yewbarrow is a long haul and I remember being very pleased to see the cairn at the summit.  The descent off Yewbarrow and the following climb up to Red Pike is also a slog; the descent is a traverse around the back of the mountain and isn’t very runnable.  However, this section passed relatively quickly and with a new support team with fresh banter and Martyn leading the way it didn’t seem as bad as I’d expected.

The little out and back to Steeple was a special moment for me.  I used to have a severe fear of heights and had great difficulty descending because I was afraid of falling.  My knees would shake making me feel unstable and increasing the risk of me realising my fear! The first time I saw Steeple on an early BG recce it filled me with horror.  However, following a hearing about a friend of a friend who cured her fear with hypnotherapy I decided to give it a try….this from a girl who had no belief in anything of the kind!  After a single half hour session of Hypnotherapy my fear was cured.  This session was focussed on the concept and psychology of climbing tall steep ladders (which I have to do for my work) and on my fear of high peaks, specifically Steeple.  So, as I climbed Steeple, I remembered my fear, the therapy, and had a brief moment of victory as I touched her summit and turned to look at the view!  It was a moment I enjoyed very much!

Leg 4 is my favourite part of the round.  The peaks are beautifully defined, steep and rocky, and there is a huge amount of pleasure to be gained from visiting them.  This day was particularly notable on account of the heat, clear views and great company.  Martyn led the way and, like Geoff Andrew and Yiannis before him, was finding all of the best lines.  Brian had brought his Collie Harry along (aka Haz or Hazzer) which added to the entertainment for me.

 It’s not meant to be pretty but its fun ha ha!  Traversing from Steeple to Pillar.

Geoff who continued with me from leg 3, Dave (Dave who’d already been up most of the night to run with me on leg 2), Brian and Martyn continued to keep me fed and watered; although I was beginning to rebel a little….boiled potatoes were definitely not to be tolerated any more and the feeling of sickness was not to be leave me!  Martyn produced some Kendal mint cake which proved very tasty and palatable.

I was becoming increasingly stiff and the blisters on my feet were becoming more difficult to ignore.  I’d slowed down and was losing time, but not enough to be a problem.  My spirits were still high although I was becoming more careful as I felt vulnerable to falling in my sore and stiff state and was tripping a little.  It was with much relief that I finished the descent from Grey Knotts down to Honister Pass to a hearty cheer from my support team and friends who’d come out to see me in.

Martyn & Brian at Wasdale
 
Ian, Ken, Andrew and Geoff looking a bit serious……I think I was refusing to eat boiled potatoes on leg 5….it went something like ‘I’m not eating any boiled potatoes’!!!!

 Splits:

Wasdale Head                    14:57
Yewbarrow                          15:48
Red Pike                               16:42
Steeple                                 17:03
Pillar                                     17:37
Kirk Fell                               18:36
Great Gable                       19:21
Green Gable                      19:39
Brandreth                           19:55
Grey Knotts                        20:05
Honister Pass                 20:23

No comments:

Post a Comment