Off Course Phalarope

Off Course Phalarope

Monday 17 June 2013

THE BOB GRAHAM ROUND - Leg Five


Leg 5

 Support crew: Ian Roberts navigator, Andrew Kitts, Martyn Price



Leg five starts at Honister Pass and climbs Dale Head, followed by Hindscarth and Robinson, and then descends into the Newlands Valley with a road or off road option for the return to Keswick.  I took the road option.  Its about 11 miles, 2500 feet ascent.

It had been very hot on leg 4 and although Brian had stashed 5 bottles of water for us to pick up en route, the team (except me as I’d been well looked after) were thirsty on arrival at Honister.  I’d provided a 2 litre bottle of water for Martyn to use to fill up his camelback; I heard later he picked it up and drank it!  Following another lovely face and neck wash from Livi, a pot of rice pudding and mug of tea I was ready to set off again. 

As Martyn and Ian led us out of the Honister Slate Mine car park, Andrew took my hand; and they say romance is dead!

The climb up Dale Head was much more comfortable than the descent from Grey Knotts had been.  There was a chap who’d set up camp near the summit of Dale Head; it would have been a glorious night for him in a fabulous spot.  The views were packed with Lakeland peaks and it was still hot.  My long sleeved top didn’t stay on for long!  My team were all commenting on the breathtaking views; none of them had seen leg five in such perfect conditions.

It wasn’t long before I’d climbed and descended Hindscarth and reached Robinson, my 42nd and final peak.  By this time I was really uncomfortable and refusing most offers of food and some of water.  However, I kept on and was completely focused on staying upright and moving.
 
As I reached the bottom of Robinson I saw a really peculiar sight; it appeared to be a white double decker bus.  It created some amusement amongst my friends when I asked what it was!  It turned out to be a trio of sheep innocently making their way up the valley!

I was too stiff and achy to tolerate carrying a head torch so I ran the whole of the road section by following Andrew and Ian, with Martyn at my side.  I couldn’t see the road surface but I didn’t really need to.  It felt like it went on forever and was far more hilly than I remembered!  I had to take a momentary pause when the blister on my left little toe expanded and ripped the nail out at the bed.  Just for a second I thought I couldn’t carry on, but I pulled myself together, put the pain away and carried on.

The final run through the streets of Keswick was magical.  It was dark but warm and there was a party atmosphere in the town.  I ran up through the market place to cheers and clapping; a welcome fit for a celebrity. 
 
The final sprint

  
Phew…there at last and I’m still smiling!
Triumphant on the Moot Hall steps

 Splits:

Honister Pass                      20:29
Dalehead                             21:07
Hindscarth                          21:27
Robinson                             21:54
Keswick Moot Hall             23:35

No comments:

Post a Comment