Off Course Phalarope

Off Course Phalarope

Tuesday 11 June 2013

THE BOB GRAHAM ROUND - Part One

On 7th June 2013 I woke up late at about 9am and remembered that a. I had a day off work, and b. it was my BG day!  It was a beautiful hot sunny day and I spent it doing relaxing girlie things like visiting the hairdresser to get my hair plaited, painting my toe nails, pottering about in the front garden and having lunch out.  But enough about that….you want to hear about my BG!

Leg 1

Support crew:  Yiannis Tridimas navigator, Ken Maynard and Bill Williamson.
 



Leg one starts at Keswick Moot Hall, heads north up Skiddaw, followed by Great Calva, crosses the river Caldew, then climbs and descends Blencathra and finishes at Threlkeld.  It’s about 12 miles and 5,500 feet ascent.

After photos and banter I set off with my trusty crew at midnight on the morning of Saturday 8th June.  The weather was balmy with only a gentle breeze; shorts, club vest, and a long sleeved top were plenty warm enough.  Although the sun had gone down, we could see a hint of blue sky near the horizon and the outlines of the fells were clearly visible.

Yiannis led the way and never faltered.  I had absolutely no appetite at all but I had promised myself that I would eat properly, so as Bill handed me my salted boiled potatoes I ate them including the tiny one he’d saved until last.  I seem to remember hearing the phrase ‘wash it down’ quite a lot; hydration was important as it was much warmer that we fell runners are used to!

I was entertained with stories of running adventures:  Bill has just completed his Ramsey Round (60 miles, 28,000 feet), Ken was signed up for a canoe course the next day with his wife Karen as part of his training for the Terrex adventure race (an epic 5 days of running, cycling and canoeing), and Yiannis had just completed the Tranter Round (36 miles 20,000 feet).  What a bunch of nutters we are!  It felt tough climbing the fells and I felt slow and heavy; not a good start.  I tried not to worry about it and focused on the banter and eating instead. 

The river Caldew was only ankle deep and was really refreshing; a very different experience to the once thigh deep icy cold crossing I made there!  As we crossed Bill pointed out that the sun was rising already.  We climbed Blencathra to the air filled with the sounds of the Skylark in full morning chorus as the light increased with the rising sun.  It was just stunning.  One of the northern fells looked like a volcano erupting as it was crowned with wisps of grey cloud highlighted in shades of red and pink.

The descent off Blencathra passed quickly and I found myself trotting along the road trying to think what I might be able to eat and wondering how bad the midges would be at my chosen change over location aka ‘Midge City’.  Andrew (my partner) had come out to meet us and ran in with us. I couldn’t have guessed that my perfect day would include a midge free ‘Midge City’ and that the bug cream I’d supplied for the team was redundant. 

I was greeted by Ian Lewis and Livi Butterworth; my road crew, and Andrew McCracken, and Dave Swift, who were ready to continue with me on leg 2. Dave’s wife Debbie had come along too to join the fun and lend a helping hand.  It was a bit of a sombre change over for me as I was behind on my schedule, but everyone was cheerful and soon had me filled with tea and rice pudding.  I said goodbye and thanks to the team and was on my way.

Splits:

Moot Hall, Keswick          00:00

Skiddaw                               01:28

Great Calva                         02:12

Blencathra                          03:33

Threlkeld                             04:08

No comments:

Post a Comment