Off Course Phalarope

Off Course Phalarope

Saturday 5 January 2013

Sleep

Yesterday I didn't need to drag myself out of bed for my early morning run. 

On Thursday I'd resorted to a latte to aid concentration at work because I've been struggling to sleep recently and was tired. I normally avoid caffeine so it works like rocket fuel when I need it, but can result in a totally sleepless night.  On this occasion I was wide awake all night and didn't even make it to bed.  This was great in terms of being up and about for an early morning run!  I ran well to start with but came unstuck with heavy legs quite suddenly about half way through and struggled on the hilly section.  By 7am when I should have been bright and bouncy after my run, I was absolutely shattered with a day at work and a long evening drive still to come.  I made it through the day by drinking a latte in the morning, two small bottles of coke during the day, and another latte at the motorway services in the evening.  This can't have been good for me but my eyes had been closing involuntarily and falling asleep at my desk or behind the wheel of my car would've been disasterous!

I was worried that I wouldn't sleep again after drinking all that junk but I needn't have been.  I slept deeply and was still fast asleep at 10:00 this morning when Andrew brought me a cup of tea. 



I felt much for a good sleep!  We went for a short run at lunch time today, and I ran much better even on the hilly bits.

Sleep deprivation is a major problem for some people.  Fortunately for me it doesn't happen often.



No comments:

Post a Comment